Re: Spark gap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 9/2/02 10:29:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

snip - - -

> :  I've
> been hitting all of the sites and the archives concerning rsg's, and I was
> wondering why a gap couldn't be constructed using only two stationary
> electrodes and having small holes drilled in the disc to control firing
> times.  Wouldn't this help to alleviate problems concerning arcs following
> the electrodes on a standard rotary disc, as well as having very precise
> control over quenching?  I'm sure there's a suitable material that could
> handle the high heat as the arc passes thru the holes without eroding it.

Hi John,
I believe this would rule out most plastics/composites as they will melt/burn
at the high temps and plasma effects of an arc at the edge of the hole. I think
some sort of ceramic disk might be possible. If you have a friend with a
pottery kiln, you might try making a few and try it.
Matt D.