Re: Anyone use MMC's with their pole transformers???????????

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

> Original poster: "Jeff W. Parisse by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jparisse-at-teslacoil-dot-com>

[cut]

> Far more capable in what way? I would imagine that the ESR, stray lead
> inductance and relatively complicated construction (lots of discrete
> parts, resistors, buss bars, etc.) would make MMCs a lower quality
> device as compared to a professionally designed, commercially
> manufactured, rated, pulse cap (two plates, two terminals, one
> dielectric and one case)...

Commericial caps are not one layer of dielectric, but many sections in
series. Still, the wiring is much thicker than the 18guage or whatever
tinned steel leads rolled dry caps use. One cap I had made uses 2" wide
copper ribbon for all internal connections. The manufacturer used ribbon to
minimize losses at the RF frequency. Other ones I've opened use 3/4" tinnerd
copper braid for internal wiring and all are designed for the lowest
possible impedance.

KEN