RE: More MOT supply questions

Hi Dave,

On 18 Oct 2002, at 7:18, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> Ted,
> Regarding which gaps are firing:  Assume MOT designation 1,2,3,4,5,6. 3 and
> 4 are the inners, 1 and 6 are the outers carrying max potentials, and 2 and
> 5 are in the middle of each group of 3.
>
> 3 - 2 - 1
> |
> 4 - 5 - 6
>
> None of these MOTs are matched, though they are the large ones producing
> from 2200 to 2400 volts. I think I've seen 1, 6, 2, and 4 fire occasionally
> at a main gap setting of 5/8" to almost 3/4". The individual gap distances
> are not precisely set to exactly the same distance. I just eyeballed it. On
> a couple of rare occasions when I get a system strike--one time I had a tank
> wire incorrectly positioned--I got power arcs across all 6 gaps and shut
> down immediately.
>
> But that 5/8 - 3/4" main gap distance is too much, not necessary. I don't
> want to turn my CP caps into explosive devices.  It behaves well at about
> 1/2" in which case the MOT safety gaps never fire. The main safety gap only
> fires rarely.
>
> Your conjecture, "high di/dt in the xfmrs due nature of load  generating
> high voltage spikes" is interesting, but I'm not sure. I'm not the lists
> greatest theoretician, as everybody must know at this point. Clearly
> something is going on, because the main gap fires (1/2" setting)  when the
> variac reaches about the 50% position!

Gaps firing with an unexpectedly low setting of the variac is an
indication that resonant charging of the cap/s is going on. That in
turn shows that leakage inductance is present in the circuit. The cap
is ringing up.

Regards,
Malcolm

 Keep in mind, however, that inner