Re: intermediate xformer

> Original poster: "Matt Skidmore by way of Terry Fritz

> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <fox-at-woozle-dot-org>

> I was thinking for those times when one did not have a 240 line

> they might be able to use a 120 to 240v step-up transformer.

	Yep.  And there are 'creative' things, like:
	If a suitable sized, dual voltage, transformer is on hand,
	or 'found' use that even if it was intended to power
	something else.

> a 2500w step-up would be good as most 120 breakers are 15-20 amp

> and that would just about max it out.

	15A is most common.  And the limit is the _wiring_:
	the breaker is just the 'enforcer'.

> however, i think even with that extra transformer you would
> still need a ballast for a piggie yes?
	Wouldn't hurt, in my view.  However the added inductance

	of the transformer will provide some limiting, which is
	what ballast is about, to some extent.  If ballast is
	used for control, auxiliary transformer has no
	effect there.

> other ideas. fish around for 2 outlets on different sides of

> the breaker box to get 240v.

	Can be iffy.  One breaker trips, other stays on, unit
	is now HOT even tho appearing off.  (hint: 240 circuits
	use two pole breakers WITH THE BREAKERS PINNED so that
	if one trips, the other does.

> i've heard of music DJs doing this for their amps and more
> likely for their lighting systems.
	It CAN be done.  I suggest that Tesla Systems can be

	set up without the need for 'kluges', imposed by the
	'roaming' life of the DJ.  (with all due respect to
	the DJs most know more about music and entertainment
	than electricity...   8)>>)

> however if you find 2 sockets that will give you 240v and

> each of those circuits are on their own 20amp breaker, will

> that allow you to pull 40 amps?

	Nope.

> me thinks just 20.
	Yep.