Re: Ballast

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

You don't need a ballast. The purpose of a ballast is
to limit the current to your transformer. NSTs are
internally current limited, so they require no
ballast.

Cheers,

> Original poster: "Matt Morrissette by way of Terry
> Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <yinzara-at-MIT.EDU>
>

> Ok, well I ve been studying up on the tesla coil and
> reading through some of
> the past archives. I ve been reading that a form of
> ballast is needed in the
> circuit.  Right now I have a stationary spark gap,
> MMC capacitor bank, primary,
> secondary, and 12/60 transformer.  Do I really need
> a ballast and if so when is
> the cheapest way of going about getting or making
> one.  Also I don t know
> exactly how to make the safety gap. What should I do
> for either of these?
>

> Matt

=====
Gregory R. Hunter