Ballast

Original poster: "Matt Morrissette by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <yinzara-at-MIT.EDU>

Ok, well I ve been studying up on the tesla coil and reading through some of
the past archives. I ve been reading that a form of ballast is needed in the
circuit.  Right now I have a stationary spark gap, MMC capacitor bank, primary,
secondary, and 12/60 transformer.  Do I really need a ballast and if so when is
the cheapest way of going about getting or making one.  Also I don t know
exactly how to make the safety gap. What should I do for either of these?

Matt