RE: Measuring NST current

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Any advice on how to measure the output current of my new 4 kv 20 ma
transformer?  I do not have an AC milliamp meter.  How about placing a 2,500

ohm resistor across the output.  If I have 20 ma, I should measure 50 volts
ac.  Sound ok?

Thanks, Ed Sonderman

Basically, you'll be floating your meter for this.  Which means:

1.  IT MUST BE COMPLETED ISOLATED.

2.  DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH IT OR YOU'LL GET HIT FOR SURE.

Remember, floating test equipment is EXTREMELY dangerous and I know at least
one person which was killed this way
in my company alone by floating an oscilloscope at 45kV (with about 10uF
behind it), and attempting to adjust the
scope while it was floating.

Dan