Re: "Cheating" was Re: The Tabletop Tesla Coil Showdown

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/10/02 3:14:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> >Should spark length measurements be normalized to air density and/or
> >breakdown field?
>
> I think it may be significant!!!  I'll have to try and find or extroplate
> some charts.  If anyone has any altitude vs. arc length charts, let us
> know!!  I'll also dig back through all emails to see if there are any
> winners.

What about smog levels, temperature inversions, low pressure storm systems,
etc.? How does airborne particulate matter affect ionization and therefore
sparklength? Is burning incense in the lab religious freedom or cheating? Seems
like you can't have a fair "horse race" with the contestants running in
different weather and different seasons on different tracks. (it's autumn in
Plymouth and springtime in New Plymouth)

Just my 2 cts of Nibbing.
Matt D.