Re: The Truth? Was RE: Sci-Fi Channel - In Search of - Tesla DeathRays!!!

>>I do really believe that history's view is sadly misaligned though. If
>>you ask any child in school who invented the electricity we use today
>>you'll probably get Edison or Franklin. I never even heard about Tesla
>>till Science classes.

	My view is that Tesla gets more respect from reasoned
	explanation, than any amount of 'death ray'.

> I guess it all depends on your definition of "the

> electricity we use today".  We use single-phase AC in our homes

	All of which is produced, transmitted and distributed as
	3 phase...

> and that definitely predates Tesla's work; he didn't invent it.

> He pioneered (but probably didn't exactly invent) the use of

> three-phase for distribution and operation of large motors.

	He certainly invented 2 phase (predecessor).
	Whether 3 phase was 'his' or 'the Westinghouse Team'
	would take a deep dig.  My impression was that
	Tesla held patents here...

> He did invent the single-phase induction motor in such common

> use today, and sure invented PRACTICAL three-phase motors.
	polyphase follows from two phase...

>>Over the past couple of years I have been doing a lot of reading into
>>Tesla's inventions and contributions. I realize my view may be
>>subjective, but I personally think the man got a raw deal from
>>Westinghouse

	I have done so for decades.

	Unclear he thought so.  He honored and respected
	Westinghouse, (the man) by all accounts, so much so that
	he handed back the patent royalties, etc.

>> and the Govt.

	'The Government' had little if anything to do with it.
	GE had a vested interest in making Edison a folk hero,
	Henry Ford, independently, more or less worshipped
	Edison and promoted him.  I believe that accounts for
	much of the perception.  That, and Tesla's wilful
	refusal to accept recognition (the Nobel, for instance).

>>But, that's my opinion.
	...and that's mine...  8)>>

	(There has been much 'creative' writing about the
	history of Tesla, some of which is at variance with
	recorded history.)

--
	best
	dwp