Re: Halloween Coiling and the FCC

Original poster: "Winston Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi Dan, All,

	This sounds bad, since I have an airport about 4 miles from my
house...  But, is the LF radiation from the coil of much concern to the
airport?  I think some navigation beacons run at low frequency, but
maybe I'm wrong?

	I think the parasitic oscillations in the tank circuit that run into
the multi-MHz and 100 MHz range are of more concern, since they are in
communications bands (I think).  Has anyone detected these VHF range
signals at any significant distance from a running coil?  I know much of
the VHF hash comes from the sparkgap itself.  The same interference is
caused by electric drills, saws, and other devices with brush-type
motors, and people don't usually don't care about it.  Also, I don't
think that airports have much of a problem with it.

	I'm just wondering if my situation really warrants caution from a
radiated RF standpoint.  I run my coil outside often, and even with a
crummy RF ground, and no line filters, my mother reports only minor TV
interference (when the coil is in tune).  When out of tune, the TV
wasn't watchable :-0.

Thanks,
Winston K.

<dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>