Re: Definitions of High Voltage

Original poster: "Brett Miller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <brmtesla-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> As
> per North's paper (High Voltage Insulation, pg1),
> any voltage below
> approximately 340V will not discharge through
> air, regardless of spacing or barometric pressure
>
> what about 120 VAC? ever unplug sumthing while its
> still on? Those are the
> same sparks you get from 12kV...

No, those sparks are not "discharging through the air"
as mentioned in the quote above.  They are resulting
from a momentary arc that occurs when you pull two
conductors (that were formerly part of an a.c.
circuit) apart.  Usually when I've done that I've seen
pieces of luminescent burning metal (from the arc) fly
out of the outlet.  I think those are the "sparks" you
are refering to...they're quite different than the
sparks you get from say a 12kv NST arcing across the
bottom of a jacob's ladder...and a completely
different animal than the high frequency RF discharges
from your tesla coil.

-Brett