Re: Definitions of High Voltage

Original poster: "Brett Miller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <brmtesla-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> As
> per North's paper (High Voltage Insulation, pg1),
> any voltage below
> approximately 340V will not discharge through
> air, regardless of spacing or barometric pressure
>
> what about 120 VAC? ever unplug sumthing while its
> still on? Those are the
> same sparks you get from 12kV...

I think I wasn't really simple enough in my last
email.
The point I was trying to get across is that the
distance an arc can begin to form between two
conductors is a function of voltage.  The distance an
arc can be pulled after it forms is a function of
current.  A jacobs ladder is a good
analogy/demonstration of this.  The voltage determines
how close the rails can be at the bottom of the "V".
The current determines of wide the "V" is spread at
the top.

A 12kv NST for example, will readily break down the
air across a gap of say, 1/4".  But with 120v you have
to actually pull apart two conductors which are
already in contact, such as in your example above.
That's why a single Microwave Oven Transformer makes a
poor power supply for a jacob's ladder...the voltage
is too low for it to start the arc at the bottom.  But
with 4 in series....watch out!

-Brett