Re: 3 phase WYE to WYE problems/ Fascinating DC Tesla Patent

Original poster: "harvey norris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry
 > Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>
 >
 > SNIP
 > >  the secondary windings in WYE, or "star" as we
 > say
 > >over here
 > SNIP
 >
 > Thanks Harvey - I had puzzled at this reference when
 > I'd seen it before; I
 > take it that WYE is a US expression?  It was always
 > star or delta when I
 > used to deal with such things...
 >
 > Cheers

 > Originating on a small island on the right-hand-side
 > of the Atlantic ;-)
There is some confusion over what star implies,
normally it is a six phase system, but HW Jackson also
defines it as ; "A system in which one terminal of
each phase is connected to a common point, (star
point), can ALSO be called a star connected system.

(Normally that is construed as WYE for 3 phase)

How in the world do we make that into a six phase
system? Good question, with a sort of double answer.
HW Jackson in "Introduction to ELECTRIC CIRCUITS"
includes this as one of his review questions at the
end of his chapter on three phase, although it is not
actually in the text chapter itself. If we have three
tranformers hooked to three phase, and the secondaries
have a center tap, (bifilar secondaries, again made
with a common point connection that normally gets
grounded in commercial power delivery), we can take
all three center taps and join them to a common
neutral, where the six remaining leads can be treated
the same way we ordinarily treat loads in wye, a load
can be placed between the secondary ending, and the
common star neutral, making for six loads connected in
six phase star. Arranged in a circle like this, the
opposite center tap from an individual transformer
secondary will be on the opposite side of the circle,
and going around the circle to adjacent transformer
connections, each phase will then be 60 degrees out of
phase rather then 120 degrees.

If we are dealing with actually placing source
frequency resonances as loads, as I do with this
alternator work, we also have the option of how we
make the resonances "ordering" appear. For  ordered
Delta series resonances,(DSR's) going around the three
phase circle we would have as an example L1C1, L2C2,
L3C3. Then 120 phase angles exist at all the line
supply nodes. However if we reverse L2C2 as C2L2 in
the ordering around the circle, then the two middle
nodes instead become 60 degree phase angles, and by
logic the last ending node should then be 240 degrees.

Thus we can also easily obtain 6 phases of resonance
from three phases by allowing each phase to be hooked
to two inversely phased series resonances. such as for
phase 1, we could have the ordering L1a,C1a hooked in
parallel to its inverse ordering as C1b,L1b in
parallel. Doing this for all three phases would also
give 6 phases of resonance.

If we make this inversely phased (source
frequency)series resonance in parallel, opposite
resonant voltage rises will be made at each resonances
midpoint. The relative voltage rises measured against
each other would be twice that of either side alone,
similar to the actions of a center tappaed secondary
of a transformer. It is not commonly recognized that
if we were to short out these voltage rises, this
turns the entire circuit into a figure 8 parallel
(source frequency)resonance. When we measure the
amperage across the midpoint path in figure 8 tank, we
find that this same doubling effect now gets expressed
a double the amperage across the midpoint path, then
exists on the sides of the circuit. The pathway of L1a
as an inductive reactance continues to L1b as it
crosses the midpoint pathway to achieve this, while
the opposite effect occurs on the other side of the
figure 8 tank, where the capacitive reactance C1b
crosses the midpoint path to reach C1a. On the
midpoint path itself we then have it sharing a common
pathway with both the inductive reactance, AND the
capacitive reactance, but since these reactances
themselves are 180 phased in current directions, when
they also use the midpoint path from OPPOSITE
directions of travel, this leads to unity of the two
currents, instead of cancellation as occurs in the
ferromagnetic counterpart of a center tapped
secondary.

For two coils in this inversely phased resonance
scheme, I have called it a binary resonance system,
because like zero and one, the midpoint switch being
open can give maximum amperage demand or 1, but
closed: it then goes towards the zero amperage demand
made by 4 q squared less impedance of the figure 8
parallel resonance. Such a (open midpoint)system can
also be retuned to operate in mutual inductance. Since
the coil of one branch will produce an opposite
magnetic field of the other branch,( by the fact of
its LC ordering with respect to its source
connections) in order for them to produce magnetic
fields in unison, thereby  collectively increasing the
individual q of each system, we only need to place
these coils in space so that each coil system has its
windings bifilar, of opposite to the other, again
another instance of employing double negatives to
achieve unity.

These same principles applied to three phase means
that if we have three EQUAL ordered DSR's, (delta
series resonances), we can connect those three
midpoints in WYE to achieve the conversion to three
tank circuits, but shematically these three tank
circuits have shared midpoint paths on the inner WYE.
Because the initial resonances themselves were not 180
out of phase, but 120 out of phase, we do not get
twice the amperage on the midpoint path, but instead
only 1.7 times that amount, where the same thing
occurs as a consequence of shared amperage pathways to
from the stator line currents serving dual arms of a
delta loads, for equal 1 amp currents on the delta
loads, 1.7 amps appears on the line serving those
loads from the aspect that the serving line consisting
of pathways shared by both phases of delivery. The
importance of things being equal for these things to
occur in three phase is seen in the fact that for the
DSR's, the phase uses the capacity in that phase for
its resonance, but for the WYE trisected DSR made
tanks, it then uses the capacity that was formerly on
an adjacent phase for its resonance. If all three
aspects were not exactly equal, the WYE conversion to
3 tanks would not accomplish this perfectly. If all
three L's and all three C's were equal there is no
problem in that conversion however.

The equality for the binary example is that if La and
Lb appear in series, they have twice the inductance,
but when Ca and Cb appear in series they have half the
capacitance, so that the new combination is still
resonant to the source frequency.

If we applied the same kind of thinking to a set of
bifilar primaries for a tesla coil, we might wish to
call it a "marx tank adaptation", since two capacities
are charged by polarity contact to two opposite
polarity connections, and then disharged across the
midpoint path as shown at
http://groups.yahoo-dot-com/group/teslafy/files/MARX/DSC00079.JPG

If we also wished to make the magnetic fields from
those primaries in magnetic unison, they should also
appear "bifilar" with respect to each other. The
potential complications in such an approach is that
like like binary resonance example, the C values for
each primary then should be retuned for the new
conditions of mutual inductance that would occur
between these primaries, generally implying that
smaller capacities would be necessary in that retuning
from the case in isolation. Other options however
exist, since we dont necessarily have to have this
"mutual induction" between primary systems for
different versions of a bipolar tesla coil set up.

The primary confusion involved in all of this is that
there are TWO ways to determine polarity, by the
winding direction of the primary itself, OR by its
actual connections to the source by the LC orderings.
This of course implies that there is MORE than one
method for constructing a bipolar TC system, and that
perhaps the TRUE bipolar method would be that made by
actual LC orderings.

Sincerely Harvey D Norris.