Avalon, was Re: FOR SALE! World's Largest Tesla Coil Power Supply

>Original poster: "Godfrey Loudner by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ggreen-at-gwtc-dot-net>
>
>Hello Christopher

Hello :)

>Its clear the geek group now owns a power plant and the transformer yard.
>How did the geek group arrange to own a power plant?
>
>Godfrey Loudner

(bad Japanese accent) In order to be successful in the ways of the
Non-Profit, you must first master the art of the b***kissing and begging...

As I have posted on the Geek Group Forums, we don't *yet* own it, and we'll
never own either the Transformer yard (it's still in service and owned by
Consumers Energy), nor the junkyard (it's owned by a gentleman who has no
interest in selling it), only the main building itself.

But that's plenty :)

As the long-time list members well know, I've been working on building the
Avalon facility for over 3 years now. The hardest part was finding a place
to build it. I've been in negotiations for aquireing ownership (not
renting, not use of, outright ownership) of the facility.

The Group will NEVER occupy a lab we don't outright OWN again) we've been
screwed over too many times and replacing that much gear is crippleing to
our operations. This is the reason that we don't currently have a main lab,
because I'd rather wait and get a GOOD one that we can own for decades than
have temp stuff we're renting.

If we're successful in aquireing the powerplant we will strip it (remove
EVERYTHING except one turbine and generator for display) and convert it
into a school for science and technology education. This is the basic
premise of the Group, to be a hub for science and technology education. It
will take us decades to raise the funding, do the work, and build the
school, but i've got patience and a dedicated staff, and a lifetime to
build my dream. Since we're 501-c-3 I don't have to worry about property
taxes and having a gigantic facility isn't a problem for us at all.

The gentleman who currently owns the property has granted me permission to
broker the sale of some of the goodies inside, this will help to clean out
the building and make him some cash (The Group unfortunately gets none of
the proceeds) but it goes a long way in helping us get the place. So I made
the first offer of the large HV gear to the list, however, the vast
majority of the HV gear (transformers, switchgear, etc) we will keep and
use to outfit the HV lab at Avalon.

The pupman list has been a founding force in the Group for years now, and I
thought it only fair to make the first offer here. It's not everyday you
can buy a real, live turbine generator for a wonderful price, and there are
members here who actually have the means, and space to have one of these.

We're still deep in negotiations on the facility, and nothing is in ink yet
so I haven't made a public announcement of anything. But when it happens,
you'll know, believe me, you'll know :) Until then, it's still being kept
at the Board-Level only in the Group. We're not releaseing any specifics or
saying anything for fear of screwing up negotiations, ot worse, being
back-doored on the property (it's happened before, but isn't a real danger
on this one), but still, I'm keeping my bases covered.

The only reason we posted the pics is for Board review and to facilitate
sale of the gear. Other than that, I wouldn't have said anything. I don't
want to get anyone's hopes up until we have a contract ink'd.

I'm availible at info-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org for specific questions regarding the
Group or the Gear, or you can reach me at my office at 269-385-2222 7 days.
As far as questions about the building, unless you are in a position to
seriously help with negotiations, funding, or legal representation I
apologise but I cannot state anything other than what I've already covered
here, and I will not answer any other questions regarding the building
onlist. Though, anything you like to know about the overal Avalon Facility
project I'm happy to cover.

In time, we'll own the facility, we'll build Avalon (and the Avalon Coil)
and we'll open the largest HV research facility on Earth that is open to
the Public (there are bigger, but they don't like to share their toys). All
in time. Anyone who wants to help, come join us, we can always use the help
of a new member, and donations are greatly appreciated! www.thegeekgroup-dot-org

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group