Re: AAAA! My coil is starting an appetite for resistors! was: First light...Mixed Emotions

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi All,

"Yes, remove the resistors. You don't need them."

 > This might not be the best advice for someone just bringing their
 > first coil to life.

 > However, everyone on this list who is posting "advice" should try
 > emphasize SAFETY at every possible opportunity.

I thought it was excellent advice, because if resistors are left out
there won't be problems with resistors.

 > Granted, the bleeder resistors are not "necessary" for the coil to
 > operate.

That's right!

I probably would have said something about safety if I thought there
was an issue. But since the original poster already knew there was a
safety issue (he was using resistors...) I didn't clog up the post
with it. Although I do agree that safety talk is good and necessary,
huge amounts of it get in the way of the hardcore information flow of
this list.

I might as well add that, IMHO, there are better ways than resistors
to protect from charged capacitors in an MMC. Plastic over the open
connections (so you can't physically touch them) is probably the best
method.

Take care,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP