Re: high voltage doubling transformer

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

Hi!

 > Has anyone ever tried to make a transformer that just doubles high
 > voltage.
 >
 > For example, converting 8000v to 16000v.
 >
 > I was thinking about my 4 mot supply and wondered if this was a way to
 > get higher voltages without having to heavily ballast a 6 or 8 mot psu.

Well... the step up transformer would be at least as bulky and heavy as
the sum of your 4..8 MOTs, because it will have to cope with the same
total power and volts-per-turn.

However, you could use a voltage doubler or levelshifter (aka DC
restoration) to get out a high DC voltage from your series'ed MOTs supply.
    http://www.tpub-dot-com/neets/book7/27m.htm

Although, even that one isn't the final answer to everything. ;)
Because, now you need at least one series HV inductor (large RF choke)
from the doubler output to your TC tank system. Otherwise all negative
going cycles from the TC tank will be shorted through the two diodes =
possible explosion. In addition, the choke has to prevent too high PSU
output current during the times the spark gap is "short circuited". So it
has to be rather large, although not as large as a 1:2 step up
transformer.

cheers,

  - Jan

--