Re: MOT power supply

At 01:19 PM 11/19/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>
>
> >Thanks for this data Finn this is ther very first time I have seen a real
>rating for core to winding for a MOT.
>
>Still this figure is in air so in oil I'd imagine the stresses of a 4 or 6
>pak could be indefinate. My oil as I recall is rated at 70kv/mm

That 700 kv/cm is the rating with dry oil no contaminants, etc.   I assume
that you probably don't scrub your MOTs, degas, dewater, decrud, etc. them,
so the minute you put that MOT into the oil, you've introduced some
contaminants.
However, a 3:1 ratio for oil/air  (i.e. around 200 kV/cm for oil ) is
probably a nice safe ratio that is pretty oil quality independent.

You'd also need to look at the transformer design to see if the major
dielectric contributor between wire and core is air(oil) or something like
the wire insulation, the kraft paper, or a winding bobbin.

In all, empiricism is the best test. Plunge them in the oil and try it.