Re: MOT power supply

Original poster: "Peter Komen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>

Running the primary of any transformer at double the rated voltage will
result in saturation of the core and very high current draw without any gain
on the output.  You might get away with running about 135V using a variac,
but I measured a couple of MOTs and the current went up considerably between
90V input and 120V input with no load (to 5 amps or so, I don't remember
precisely).  I didn't try higher input voltages, but pushing MOTs too much
won't work well.

Regards,

Pete Komen

Subject: MOT power supply