Re: Holed SRSG disc ..was First light at 4500VA

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

As with any learning experience in T coiling we all come up with wonderful
ideas to try to improve on the current designs....I say this is good , at
least the "learners" are thinking :)

as far as SRSG's with holes in the disc instead of metallic conductors is a
good idea IF we can find a material that can withstand the heat of the arc
created by the gap. As mentioned in previous posts, ceramic would be a good
material to use. But due to its fragile nature, it is prone to fracturing
easily. One type of ceramic used in extreme hi heat conditions is Berillium
( spelling? ) Oxide. It is commonly used in gas lasers ( argon, krypton)
which produce ungodly amounts of heat for the size of containment.  Dont
get too excited yet....  BeO is toxic... very brittle... and has to be cast
or molded, forget about drilling and or machining this stuff...  ( I
already tried ..  trashed a very expensive TiN coated Tungsten Carbide
drill bit in an attempt to drill a laser tube) .

The problem we face is the extreme amount of heat, the electron flow (
which shreds just about everything, which results in heat) , the lack of
materials that have a insulative value required to keep the spark supressed.

An idea....   complicated, expensive,  but an idea...  since heat is our
main problem what about supercooling the disc. Use a gas that is semi
conductive and cold ( nitrogen?? hmmm bad choice LOTS of UV and NO, inert
gasses wont quench... fluids will eventually heat up and breakdown and
cavitate, besides... a 5 hp motor will be needed to rotate the disc. There
is some type of flourine gas compound already used in spark gaps but purity
is a paramount factor in its operation...  not too many of us have access
to such resorces...

Sooo...  I suppose we are stuck with our SRSG woes until we can easily
afford a laser powered pulsed preionizer or the semiconductor companies
come up with a solid state device that can withstand up to 100KV hold off
potentials which can operate at 5000 KHz.

there has got to be an affordable answer somewhere........

Scot D