Re: VTTC controller - First Light

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

Shad (& all)-

I too look fondly on tubes although it's been upwards of 50 years since
I've designed anything with them.  But a comment or two:

1.  Consider using an untuned primary and then deriving the FET/tube
excitation from the secondary's return current, as I do with my s.s.
coil.  That makes the coil self-tuning.  You feed the current through a
capacitor whose reactance is small at Fr, to ground.  Take the small
capacitor voltage, now shifted 90 degrees w/ respect to the current, and
couple it to a pair of back-to-back diodes to ground via 1K or so.  Then
amplify the diode voltage & drive the FET(s) with it.  Voila!...a
feedback oscillator with the secondary's Fr as the sole
frequency-determining element.  You need enough gain in the amplifier so
that noise will start the oscillations going.  Or else, configure it as a
weak internally-fed-back oscillator that will become swamped with the
secondary-signal as soon as you turn it on.

2.  I'd characterize the FETs more as just switches rather than as part
of a divider.  Just semantics...

3.  Sounds as if your FETs are turning >off< quite rapidly since the
excursion to -300 takes only ~200 ns.  They don't turn on fast enough.  I
suppose you have checked the gate waveforms themselves?  You could use
N-channel FETs, of course, by merely 1:1-transformer-coupling their
drives.

4.  If it's the case instead that it's the return to -300 that's slow,
then they're, of course, turning >on< slowly.  In any case in a push-pull
situation, I'd think slow-fast, or fast-slow, would be good since that
would afford a dead-zone between 1 tube turning on & the other off & vice
versa.  But during that dead zone, the primary is going to ring something
fierce--if untuned & unless clamped.

5.  I should think you could use a totem-pole configuration of 500 V
FETs, driving the grid & connected between 0 and -300 V, to avoid the use
of the series resistor.

6.  You mention using 2 MOTs in series:  I hope they're insulated for it.

7.  Fundamentally, you'll have the same problem as I do with my s.s.
coil:  Not enough power contained  in the first few cycles of excitation
to generate the longest sparks.

8.  I don't see an advantage to tuning the primary; you'll not get any
more through-put of power thereby.  What's the point, I wonder?

Ken Herrick