Re: HV Meter

Original poster: "Bert Pool by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <txsharpie-at-prodigy-dot-net>

[snip]

>I have just acquired (second hand) a 4kV panel meter, which I plan to
>incorporate into a test jig for MOT's.
>
>1) Am I correct in assuming that this means that it's DC only?
>2) If (1), would an MO diode and capacitor make adequate rectification for it?
>3) Would I be reading peak or RMS with such a half-wave arrangement?  (I
>Can't lay my hands on my book from which I normally seek such wisdom ;-)
>4) If I were to use a resistor string (voltage divider) to increase my
>range, would it be best to go before or after the rectifier, if used?
>
>Cheers

[snip]

Electrostatic meters are unique in that they read both DC and AC.  They are
*very* accurate meters.  The AC reading will be pure RMS.  No rectification
or filtering required.  I have a 60 KV unit that I use for AC readings on
my systems.

Bert Pool