Re: Grounded Gas Line Re:3/4, 1/4,or 3/4 copper tubing?...

Grounding miscellany:
This may have been mentioned:
         Grounding requirements can vary, affected by local earth
         current/Stray current conditions, and need to isolate
         (or connect) water and gas mains to reduce electrolysis.

Related Grounding Issue as winter approaches in the Northern
Hemisphere:
         Frozen grounds reduce the effectiveness of  grounds.
         Ice is a Dandy insulator: it immobilizes the
         contaminants that make water a conductor.  Ground
         efficiency will change if in a frozen layer.  This
         has been discussed in the archives and is covered
         in power company grounding practice.

         With a high power coil, grounding may 'improve' as
         ground currents from operation melt underground water
         around the ground electrode...

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Harold Weiss by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>
>Hello all,
>The recent discussion on grounded natural gas lines got me to check my
>own.  The gas line in my house IS GROUNDED!  It enters the house in the
>same location as the water main.  The gas feed to the meter turns to
>plastic pipe about 3' down in the ground.  I found this out when Public
>Service changed the meter position on the house.  The water pipe is copper
>and runs into the local water table once it gets below the footing of the
>foundation.  Great grounding when Lake Winnebago is in your
>backyard.  When I started coiling, I covered the gas line in the vicinity
>with chicken wire grounded to the cold water pipe.  I would not try to
>have currents of any kind on the gas pipe.
>This grounding of the gas line seems strange.  Anyone?
         Seems normal, depending on local requirements

         (Invisible to the general public, there is,
         in many places, a 'grounding committee' of
         professionals from the power company, the gas
         company, the electric company and others
         (rail transit) who investigate and settle such
         matters.)

>David E Weiss

         best
         dwp