Re: measuring secondary parasitic capacitance?

Hi Larry,

88pF is high. If your secondary is say inside a room or garage with a
topload mounted and with a primary, I would expect about 27pF or so. As a
bare secondary (alone in the universe), then something like 8pF is real and
the dc meter should measure about 15pF. But the reality is, it's not alone
in the universe. There's a groundplane, probably walls, a ceiling, objects
here and there, etc... It all adds up. IF you had the coil surrounded in an
enclosure about 40" all around the coil, then you might hit about 35pF with
all the components on the system.

I found this note at RadioShack regarding your model: (see operation).

        The lowest capacitance ranges have an internal capacitance that is
        the actual input capacitance of the instrument.  If you want to
        make measurements at very low ranges, subtract the internal
        capacitance from the measurements.

So, if you can find out what the internal capacitance is.....

Just go to www.radioshack-dot-com and search on   22-174. Your meter should
come right up (search the on-line catalog). There's a lot of info on your
particular model.

Take care,
Bart