Re: 3/4, 1/4, or 3/4 copper tubing? HV & Gas

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 11/4/02 9:25:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>TCML,
>
>Faraday's law protects the gas inside the pipes. We don't ground to gas
>pipes either but not because of scientific reasons but "common sense".
>"Common" referring to the public safety officer who inspects the
>installation: he or she isn't going to place their faith on Faraday's
>law or our interpretation of it.

Yes, but if  even a small leak ever develops, soap-bubbles, not HV arcs are
the way to find them. Some piping applications require electrical isolation
gaskets/flanges, especially in and around the meter. If there is an
isolation flange, then the meter will be floating at HV. This is bad for
meter readers and for newer remote-reading meter electronics. You also do
not want HV/RFI in your furnace control system. This is both science and
common sense.

Matt D.