Re: TCmodulation-PlasmaTweeter

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Its possible to modulate almost anything, from small audio signals up to
very powerful (10+ Megawatt), very high voltage (100kV+) radar transmitters.

The easiest and least expensive way is to modulate using a tube-type switch.

However, solid state high voltage, high current switches (although EXTREMELY
EXPENSIVE) are being used more and more now all the time.

In a particular solid state radar illuminator we are designing (an
illuminator lights up a target so a missile can track and destroy it) uses
basically a string
of solid state FETs to switch 80kVDC at PRF's up to 20kHz and at power
levels up to 200kW.  Not bad for a small radar transmitter.

Dan