[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Buck/Boost Re: 220V transformers on 120V?

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>>I bought a 15kV neon transformer without noticing it
>>was 220V until I opened it up.

>>Can I just get a voltage converter and run it off that?
> Hi Ian...
> using 120 on a 220 trannie will give you 1/2 the output voltage...

> to get full voltage use a transformer what is known as a

> Buck/Boost transformer ....

	In my experience a buck/boost refers to a specialized
	transformer, that can move the output voltage up
	(or down) by relatively small amounts: typically
	6-12V.  These have an independent winding, intended
	to be connected in series with the output winding,
	to raise (or lower, depending on phasing) the voltage
	available to an external load.

	There may be other usages of the term.