audio modulated VTTC

Original poster: "Herwig Roscher by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>

Hi list,

I've built an audio modulated VTTC and find the quality of the
radiated AF not to be overwhelming at all. Plasma tweeters are
kind of VTTC and are reported to generate high quality AF - at least
at high modulation frequencies.

Searching the web, I've found, that most VTTCs are Armstrong
oscillators, operated in "C-mode" (no true C-mode, which requires
a constant grid bias). One of the advantages, claimed for this type
of oscillator is, that it is selfstarting and selfregulating.

Plasma tweeters nearly almost are Huth-Kühn (in this part of the
world)-oscillators (feedback by increased capacity between plate
and control grid). This type of oscillator seems to have start
problems and it is necessary to touch the terminal with a well
insulated screwdriver to stimulate the oscillations.

Because of simplicity and low distortions I would like to use the
plasma tweeter type of oscillator for my VTTC. But I am not
prepared to accept the start problems, as they are a huge menace
for the toob.

What are the reasons for the a.m. problems and is it possible to
overcome them? Are there other types of power oscillators which
combine easy selfstart and good modulation quality and could be
used for VTTCs?

Cheers,

Herwig

Greed is the root of all evil!