RE: Regulating coil: here's a big one!

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Let's please call these "tuning coils" - nothing is being regulated.

Now here's the good news.  No power or performance is being wasted.  While
the magnetic field from the tuning coil is not likely being coupled to the
secondary, it is not going to waste.  Only if there is resistance, will
there be heat generated and hence wasted energy.  The off-axis inductance
of the tuning coil will merely somewhat reduce the pri-sec coupling, and
the secondary can be moved closer to the primary to compensate.

The same misconception also applies to parasitic inductance (a.k.a. E.S.L)
.within capacitors.  This does no harm in a Tesla Coil application, though
it is significant in other high energy pulse-discharge applications.

Gary Lau
MA, USA