Re: Alternate Tesla Coils (Re: Pulse Transformer)

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>

> >>  Roughly speaking a VTTC uses a vacuum tube to replace the
> >>spark gap. The tube is put into conduction long enough to
> >>"ring up" the secondary, then cut off. The envelope is
> >>approximately flat instead of exponential as in a SG coil
> >>hence the "CW as opposed to impulse" explanation. That's
> >>kinda raw; use Google to find more.
>
> > Most interesting, I have read about another replacement
>
> >for the spark gap. I will read about vacuum tubes.
>
>         There are a couple of different concepts:
>         Direct Replacement (which the usual VTTC does not
>         do, tho it could be done ....  I guess) to have a
>         'shock excited' system, analogous to a spark gap
>         coil.   'functional' is more common, where the VT
>         is used in a conventional oscillator, which
>         provides continuous wave (CW) excitation of the
>         Tesla Secondary.
>
>         best
>         dwp

I have a sort of vacuum tube tesla coil via ham equipment.  It is a 3ft
high coil wound with 1/4" pipe and resonates at 1.8mhz.   I can drive it
with a 3kW linear amplifier and get a nice purple flame off of the top.
If you AM modulate the RF, you can talk into the mike and the flame
talks back to you :)    Rob.

--
The Numeric Python EM Project

www.pythonemproject-dot-com