Re: oil dielectric

>>Paul: before oil burns you must reach the flash point temprature.
>>If your oil is cool enough to handle you are well below this temp.

>     Suppose the coil is running.
>     Suppose the coil arcs over, in an unexpected way.
>     Suppose the arc hits the oil.
>     Suppose (since its an insulator) the oil gets a breakdown
>     UNDER it.  Now the arc is in the oil.
>     (hint:
>     This is why oils became unpopular in HV gear:
>         When something went wrong, the arc lit the oil.)

> I can understand the very real events that can occur with oil.
> If the dielectric of oil breaks down as you indicate, the
> results would be catastrophic. When the dielectric of water
> breaks down, particles of water are thrown off with such force
> they can penetrate metal sheeting.

	I'd be interested in a documented case.
	Decomposition of water leaves gaseous products, which
	will drift away, the remaining water is
	noncombustible.

> Magnetic repulsion which is used to lift trains,

	magnetic forces operate all 'electric' motors.
	Other than CRTs, and smoke eaters, 'electric forces'
	are essentially unused.  Mag-Lev exists only in an
	experimental installation or two.  Most trains run
	on steel springs (or oil/air).

> cannot compare to electric repulsion.

	It compares quite exactly.  It is much more widely used.

>>>I am sure a thermocouple could be added to cut off the power if
>>>the oil  starts to heat.

>>    Heating by submerged arc, or arc to spilt oil is way
>>    faster than a thermocouple.

> Agreed, the arc would be near light speeds.

	Arcs propagate a LOT slower than light.  (I'd have
	to dig for an exact number).  Fast, slower than light.

> I saw a most interesting program about a woman who
> was struck by lighting and completely healed of the viral
> disease she had. I  think it was MS, and the doctors
> said she would never walk again. She was running water
> for her bath when her metal leg brace came in contact with the
> iron tub. She was by eye witness accounts, blown across the
> room from the lightning bolt and found several feet from her wheel
> chair.

	... and there are a huge number of lightning survivors
	with well documented, long term BAD effects, notably
	neurological damage and symptoms...

	best
	dwp