RE: Current in the Coil - was oil dielectric

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Sean,

I had not thought of that.  Good point.  Do you know the formula for
figuring the maximum amperage for 90 degrees out of phase at resonance?
Terry, do you have information about this on your website?

Dave

> The transformer I'm using is a 15KV NST at 30mA short circuit.  The
> transformer is rated for 250 watts.  If I'm getting the full 15KV and the
> power output does not exceed 250 watts, then the average operating current
> can only be 16.7mA.

Not true - That's at unity power factor.  If the current and voltage are out
of phase, i.e. a non-resistive load (a TC is DEFINITELY non-resistive), then
the power factor is less than one.
You could have 15 kV, 200 A, and still only have 250 W.  It just depends on
the power factor.

Sean Taylor
The Geek Group
G-3 #1204J
Because the geek shall inherit the Earth! (c)
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org