Re: 1 strand of corona?/Class Demo

Tesla list wrote:

><Beans45601-at-aol-dot-com>

> I was running my Tesla coil last night and I noticed that there

> was one strand of magnet wire (about 8") that extremely bright

> corona (yea, I think the spelling is wrong, but, you get the point)

	You're wrong, it's right.  8)>>

> all the other parts of the secondary had none.

	Where on the secondary was it?
	It may be too late to ask: was there previous
	damage to the insulation?

	(insulation may not be able to 'stop' corona,
	it can influence onset.)

> Also, I am taking my Tesla coil to my physics class on the
> 24th, what precautions do I need to use when using it in the

> room.

	There is much on this in the archives.

> It is a "portable"

	The classroom?  A Trailer?

> so there are no class rooms around it, there is a computer in the
> room though, I was thinking I would need to put a faraday cage

> around it.

	Would it be practical to unplug it and put it elsewhere?
	Also, how big is this coil, that affects the precautions.
	I'd run a dedicated power cord, with shortest possible
	dedicated ground for RF portion of coil.

	(I'm guessing grounding of the electric supply is a bit
	indirect, for the trailer.)

> And with bringing in my tesla coil, I have to do a 3 page paper

> on the concept of the tesla coil and what we could use it for

> (besides sending electricity without wires).

	(I get in trouble here with my views on that.... 8)>>:
	I don't think its much good for anything but light
	shows.  Others likely think differently.  (that's my view,
	debating it is likely OT.))

> Does anyone know of a good site where I could get some detailed
> information about the tesla coil?

	There are many sites, not sure I'd want to pass judgement
	on which are 'good'.

	Related:
	Should 'we' have a condensed list of demos:
		fluorescent lights
		Same with antennas
		Lighting rod (?)
		remote power (diode small motor)
		ion motor
		???

	Uses:
		Has been used for vacuum system leak checks.
		Has been used for HV source for atom smashing.
	I'd spend some time on Tesla The Man...

	best
	dwp