Re: Can you cut the primary coil?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/13/02 10:50:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hello all,
>    This is something I've been wondering for a long time.  On a flat primary
> you have i.e.- 15 turns but only use say 3 to 7 depending on tuning.  After
> tuning the coil, could you cut the rest of the turns off before the tap point
> or does that area actually do something?  It just seems that the area you are
> feeding power to would be the only necessary area.  I hope this makes sense:)
>
> Thanks much
> Gregg Adams

Hi Gregg,
You can do this as long as your current coil configuration will never change.
Most people leave it on because sooner or later, they want more power, bigger
secondary, more power etc. Also coils are temperature and proximity sensitive.
It would be rough if you tuned and trimmed it this dummer and next winter you
came up 4 in. short.
Matt D.
G5-#12

http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org