Re: Large ferrite cores for SSTC work

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Steve Rodway by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <teslalist-at-legion-elec.demon.co.uk>

>         I'm starting to resume my work on my solid state Tesla coils at
> the moment, and I am looking at getting in some large ferrite
> transformer cores for the main matching transformer. I've spoken
> to a few other people who are also after ferrite cores, so I
> thought I'd see if there is enough interest to organize a bulk
> buy. The core I've currently got in mind is at
> http://www.legion-elec.demon.co.uk/bigferritecore.gif it weighs
> in at about 760 grams and is likely to cost something in the
> region of £20 per 'U', that's probably going to work out at about
> $30.  If you're interested, let me know ( off list ) and if
> there's enough interest I'll speak to the suppliers and try to
> sort things out.
>
>                         Steve
> --
> * Steve Rodway                              Legion Electronics *
> * SteveR-at-legion-elec.demon.co.uk       Tel. +44 (0)1761 300615 *
> * http://www.legion-elec.demon.co.uk/  Fax. +44 (0)870 0529740 *
> *                                     Pager +44 (0)7661 061026 *

I get all my cores from old high power switching supplies.  You just
unmount the transformer, remove the tape holding the core together, then
boil it in water.  The cores come right apart.  Here locally, I can find
surplus 5V 1KW supplies for $20-$50.  If you are lucky, you also get a
nice bobbin and some teflon insulated wire.  Rob.

--
The Numeric Python EM Project

www.pythonemproject-dot-com