Re: oil dielectric

Original poster: "Mark Fergerson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mfergerson1-at-cox-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Xyme3-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>    Would it be possible to enclose the primary inside a plastic container
> filled with oil?

  Sure, but why? Tesla (and others) built "demonstration"
coils with the primary/secondary assembly immersed in oil
but AFAIK not the primary alone.

  Tesla's stated reason was to minimize corona losses,
flashover (what we today call racing arcs IIUC) on the
secondary, and pri/sec arcs, and he preferred oil because
it's "self-healing". Still makes sense in light of today's
knowledge, but why just the primary?

  Mark L. Fergerson