Re: solder

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

>Hello All
>
>Can plumbing solder be used to make electrical connections or is electrical
>grade really necessary. I'm going on ebay to look for  big spools of solder.
>
>Godfrey Loudner

electrical grade is best for electrical applications due to the resin
flux used as the cleaner. Plumbing solder ( if it has a core of flux) is
normally an acid type of flux. Eventually the acid residue from plumbing
solder will weaken the joint in electrical applications. What you can do
is find a hi quality type of plumbing solder without the flux core (
especially for copper pipe) and apply the resin from a seperate
container to the joint being soldered. I remember a type of flux that
was made specifically for copper pipe joints ( i think it was called
C-Flux) but im not too sure if it was resin or acid.

another thing to consider is that electrical grade solder melts at a bit
lower temp than plumbers grade does......

hope this helps

Scot D