tuning a coil, guess and check?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Beans45601-at-aol-dot-com>

I work at a children's museum and lately they did some repairs on the Tesla
Coil we have. I don't know any of the specs on the coil, so would tuning it
just be a guess and check? All I know is that it is a flat coil, the primary is
6 turns of 1/2 copper pipe and 300-500 turns of what looks like insulated lamp
wire, I am not sure what the exact size of it is. What we use it for is sending
electricity through the air and someone holds the florescent bulb in front of
it. We don't have a top load on it, we have a very stiff wire pointing towards
the person with the bulb so that the bulb will light up better (is this true,
or would it light up just as much if it was a round top load?). So, back to my
original question, when I go there, am I just going to guess and check, or does
anyone know of a general spot where I can start (they have it not at the spot
closest to the secondar! y coil)?
Thanks
Adam