[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Grim Safety Reminder

Original poster: "Jonathan Peakall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jpeakall-at-madlabs.info>

I am a firefighter with the Albion-Little River VFD. Two days ago we had a call
which is a grim reminder to those of us that work with high voltage.
A cable installer (being VERY stupid) managed to catch the HV lines above his
"cherry picker". When we arrived, he was still smoldering, we had to put him
out. Literally. One of his arms was gone, just plain gone. The other was a
stump. His genitals were a small melted lump. 40%-60% of his body had 3rd
degree burns. In my 5 years with the FD, I have never seen anything nearly as
horrifying. And we see stuff.
Unbelievably, the poor bastard lived. He has a wife and 3 kids with another on
the way.
Anyway, it really impressed me. I can tell you that the image of this guy will
be with me for the rest of my life, every time I am employing High Voltage.
Sorry to inject such a downer note on the list. But it has been on my mind. 
Regards and SAFE COILING!!!
Jonathan Peakall