Re: High Voltage Potting

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "marc metlicka by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

> just to add some good advice:
> Melt the paraffin wax and then drop 10 or 20 hot glue sticks into it,
> keep stirring until smooth and clear, now you have a low shrinkage, very
> solid potting mix.
> If you don't mind the time it takes, cut some gallon milk jugs into
> strips (the smaller melt faster. mix very well but without going nuts a
> making foam) the clearish kind.
> Take care,
> Marc M.

	If you try this be very, very carefull!  The molten paraffin can ignite
at a pretty low temperature.  I've found that dripping the hot glue out
of a gun works better than just dropping the sticks in and waiting until
the melt.  Seems to work with lower paraffin temperatures too.  I've
tried the cut up bottle route, that that also took  higher temperatures
and longer as well.  The glue stick approach is best.

	By the way, this stuff looks cool and is nice and solid, but it DOES
shrink on cooling and, at least in my experience, tends to have tiny air
bubbles in it.

Ed