Re: Directions for tesla coil research

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Shaun Epp by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<scepp-at-mts-dot-net>

> Question about increasing Q, See below,

Perhaps is a conservation of energy thing.  A bigger top cap can store
more energy without it leaking away in small streamers.  Then when the
energy builds up high enough, you get the big bang :)  It is definitely
true with my tiny 2Mhz test coil.  With no top cap on the pvc pipe, I
don't get much streaming out of it.  Plus it raises the freq up beyond
where my MosFET circuit can efficiently drive the coil. Rob.

--
The Numeric Python EM Project

www.pythonemproject-dot-com