RE: Geek Group Cap mod

Original poster: "Bert Pool by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <txsharpie-at-prodigy-dot-net>

Regardless of how many bottles there are, if they are in parallel, as in the
photo at the posted web site, then the rated voltage is the voltage of one
bottle.  Tesla himself had great difficulty operating thick champagne bottles
at 20kv (CSN, 08-11-99) - no mere beer bottle is going to withstand 80kv.
6,600 volts would be a good estimate of a voltage one bottle might withstand.
If you expect to get 80kv, you'll have to wire 12 or 13 bottles in series, not
parallel.  And by putting 12 or 13 of them in series to get the higher voltage
rating, your capacitance will be 1/12th or 1/13th that of one bottle.  You are
going to need 144+ bottles to get 0.014 at 80 kv.
Bert