Re: Fasthenry program does much more than I originally thought

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Hi Terry,

I had some free time at work today and already have a working core of a
Python language preprocessor for fasthenry.  I'm calling it "fastTesla"
:)

I was amused at some  assertions I saw that it wasn't possible to
accurately model inductors and capacitors.  The programs that do this
are full-wave EM type simulators, and unfortunately they cost about
$10000 per node license (e.g. Zeland Software and Ansofts HFSS).  If it
wasn't possible to accurately model inductors and capacitors, my company
would have been in Chapter 11 long ago.  We manufacture MMIC's, and our
biggest problem is modeling the nonlinear capacitances of the active
devices that are attached to the inductors.  Passive devices are no
problem.

That said, I applaud the work that is going on to develope some "free"
software that will do the same, or at least come close.  If you go to
www.sourceforge-dot-net and scan through the engineering/science listings of
software projects, you can see a lot of effort recently in making GPL'd
(i.e. free) CAD tools for electronic work.

Rob.

--