Re: Keeping up with the theory (was is Corum and Corumforbidden topic?)

Hi Ray,

>At 01:32 PM 5/2/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>

>How do you determine the distributed capacitance of a solenoid from its
>physical dimensions?
>That is a Holy Grail that has not been found.  True, Wheeler's work lets you
>calculate
>it within practical limits for a limited number of coils.  But, I know of no
>equation that is
>general in application and is provably accurate to the limits of physical
>measurement.  Now there
>is a problem worth working on!

E-Tesla6 does this:

E-Tesla6 - The next version of E-Tesla that uses the latest secondary
voltage profile data from Paul Nicholson's TSSP project. This program
predicts the resonant frequency of a secondary coil and top load given the
physical dimensions of the secondary and toroid.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Programs/E-Tesla6.zip

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Programs/NewFoCselfCtotalProgram.txt

So does Paul's TSSP program:

http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/

http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/model.html

Medhurst's formula works very well on a bare secondary coil but cannot do a
coil with a top terminal.

All these methods are accurate with a few percent.  Paul's is by far the
most sophisticated and versatile.

The programs are not actually "equations" but big number crunchers.  One
may be able to come up with empirical equations from Pauls' giant
calculated data base:

http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/vsd/

Cheers,

	Terry