Re: first light....sad really, reasons?

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Yours is a fairly common "first light" experience.
When I first lit the original "Junk Box Coil", it
couldn't have energized a bug zapper. By the time I
was done with it, I was getting sparks a yard long.
Sounds like you are way out of tune, and you need a
better spark gap. The two nails are probably forming a
power arc, resulting in dismal performance. In my coil
systems, the spark gap is the single biggest arbiter
of coil performance, and modest changes to the spark
gap yield dramatic changes in streamer length. Build a
real spark gap with big copper or brass electrodes,
and blow some air through it.

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg