first light....sad really, reasons?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Beans45601-at-aol-dot-com>

Ok, i was excited for my first light, and became sad very fast when i got
about 1" sparks. I have not completly fisished it yet, i have 2 nails bent
close together for a spark gap, and my topload is a 1/4 bolt. Are these the
reasons my results were so bad? also, when i had the RF ground on the
secondary, i got no sparks, when i took it off, i got my 1" sparks. Does
anyone know why i got such results?
Thanks
Ada,