RE: Flat Spiral Winding Techniques

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Brian,

>What about using a very slow cure epoxy and putting it on while your
winding and then leave it clamped for a couple days. cul brian f.

I've tried this.  A coil can be made in this manner, but it becomes full of
bubbles as the winding progresses.  This is due to the wire continually
churning the epoxy as the winding progresses.  The center will be relatively
bubble free, but the outer windings will be encased in a milk white air and
epoxy mixture.  I have several coils with this condition.  I won't operate
any of the coils under high power because I'm concerned the air bubbles near
the wire will explode if rapidly heated.

Also, over time the mixture begins to thicken up.  Inevitably there are
places where the epoxy is thicker than others.  This creates more drag in
some places and less in others.  The result is an oblong coil.  I have
several of those, too.

Dave