Magnetron Rectifiers

Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi All.

	I just ran a few (crude) tests concerning the use of magnetrons as
rectifiers.  They may be useful for rectifying NST output, or even tesla
coil output (since tubes should be less sensitive to the frequency).  I
ran a single tube (without the magnets installed) the same way you would
run a normal tube rectifier.  Using the standard 3.5 VAC filament power,
and an H&R xfmr for the HV supply, the voltage output was comparable to
my diode stack.  (I only measured up to 30 volts in on the variac, since
my meter doesn't like anything higher.)  Output current was lower than
with the diodes until the filament voltage was raised to 5.5 VAC.  Then
the current was only slightly lower than with the diodes.  I got 300 mA
out with the filament at 5.5 volts.

	I hooked up my 15/60 neon to the setup, and at full voltage got a nice
60 cycle chatter from the resulting arc.  There were a few brief
flashovers, but this can be stopped with electrical tape, or silicone
sealant.

	Of course for most things, using diodes is easier and more practical.
Just another option for those of us who would like to try something new.

Winston