Re: Model T First Light

Original poster: "Gregg Adams by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <network-at-intop-dot-net>

Hey dave,
    I fought with my coil for a while with this really pretty spiral that I
made by spec and expected great performance but no such luck even after
tuning.  I grabbed up some spare copper that I had lying around and
free-handed a helix of 12 inch diameter and 6 turns(looked like crap).  This
is on a small system that only has a 4 inch diameter secondary and 15/60
nst.  I was getting 3 to 4 inch streamers at best with the spiral.  When I
switched to the helix, I was getting 12 to 16 inch streamers.  I still can't
figure out why mine is having coupling problems with a spiral but I'm
staying with the helix till I have trouble with some arcs between the
primary and secondary.
    About the amount of turns... I am using 1/4 inch copper tubing with 1/4
inch spacing between each turn.  If you are using the same then the 58 turns
doesn't sound right.  That would make the helix primary close to 30 inches
tall!!!  I guess it all depends on what your system specs are but that would
be a big primary.  Mine is 9 turns and tapped at 5.  The only reason I used
nine is cause that was all the spare copper I had left and it was just an
experiment(not calculated).  I like the helix better anyway cause it's more
compact unlike the platform for the spiral I made which was 2 foot diameter.
Just a little feedback from a newbie:)

            Hope this helps!
            Gregg