Re: Flat Spiral Secondary - Why?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

> Hi All,
>         I dont know if I missed something but
> what is the sudden race to build a flat
> secondary,

	Tesla built some flat coils, (cf photos in Colorado Springs
	Notes, and sketches in patents).  Some investigators feel
	that for NON SPARK purposes, these have advantages as
	secondaries.  (compactness, notably).  Its not clear to me
	that Tesla USED the flat coils as secondaries, or if they were
	eg, test equipment, probe coils, loading coils.  Its also not
	clear to me that the flat coils shown in the patents
	were intended as 'construction' diagrams or 'schematic'.

> it seems like a rather odd thing to do as you are massively
>reducing the space between the hot end and the cold end of the
> winding.

	Depends on the purpose for which the coil is built.
	Sparks is one purpose, some investigate other areas.

	best
	dwp