RE: Longitudinal Wave Experiment

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Jan,

>And that's exactly what it is - a mirror image, created on the surface of
the ground plane (attracted charges, and current loops).

>There's NO field below inside the ground plane.

This is the first I've heard of the reflection as being flat.  Do you have
something I can read that will explain how this theory is modeled?

>The bipolar Tesla coil, with the center grounded (no ground plane BETWEEN
the coils!!), is equivalent to a classic 1/4wave TC that is standing ON a
ground plane.

I beg to differ.  Not only are the coils joined in the center, but the
primary is also in the center.  The primary coil, especially if it is a flat
spiral, is oscillating in the ground plane (as I describe it) with
longitudinal waves, perpendicular to the potential of the secondaries.  The
"center ground" as you are describing it would behave in what manner?  When
voltage is high and with opposite polarities at each end of the bipolar
coil, the center is zero volt.  When the voltages are zero at the ends of
the coil, are you saying there is no longitudinal spreading of current at
the center when the opposite polarities move toward each other?  That all
the energy is concentrated in the point of the "ground connection?"

>But by introducing a ground plane BETWEEN the two coils of the bipolar TC,
you end up with two separate 1/4wave coils that both see their mirror image
on the ground plane.

How could they be separate quarterwave coils if their polarities are
opposite and dependent on each other?

>This means that these coils don't have to reside vertically on the same
line (as is wrongly shown on your web page).  They could be moved many
metres wide apart, without any change in operation.

Have you built such a bipolar coil?  I would be very much interested in a
working model of what you are saying.  This could change my views
considerably.

Dave